9.30.2013

what the dinner table means to me

you see, the house we are in has a living room and a ‘den.’ I’ve never really understood the need to have both. what I do know is that our ‘eat in kitchen’ barely has enough room for a small 4 person table.

this led me think “hey laura, why don’t you use the den as the family room (where the couches, chairs, and tv will be), and turn the living room (which is a long, skinny room w/ only 1 window and a fire place) into a formal dining room!” <<lightbulb moment right there>> but then I began to search for a table. something large that could fit at least 6 people, if not more. I absolutely love hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas and dinner parties but we just do not have the space to gather everyone. and you know what I found? those tables are freakin’ expensive, don’t  include the chairs, and none of them were really what I wanted.

as I was perusing [Pinterest] one day, I found these plans for a DIY farmhouse table. and I fell. in. love. I need to make this table. I think about it daily. As I broached the subject with Josh, he looked at me like I was a crazy person. you want to build the table. yourself?? hahaha.. it was laughable to him. but that made me even more determined to do it.

built in

all I could imagine in my mind was josh and I sitting around this table I made with our children, having dinner talking about how momma made this table. or having a piece of furniture that is sturdy enough to be able to pass it down to my kids. and that began my obsession with making a dining room table.

…and here we are a few months later and it’s finally getting cool enough to work in the garage with the doors open without having a heat stroke and so, this coming week I will be gathering my supplies to start. I will be taking pictures because whether it works out or not, I feel this needs to be documented. and hey, if it works out I guess we’ll be eating dinner, just the two of us, on a huge table with plenty of room to spread out. or will it be just the two of us?……… I guess we’ll see. won’t we?

 

and as for the eat in kitchen area//

built in

No comments:

Post a Comment